Student Visa

Study Abroad | Study in the UK | UK Student Visa explained

UK Student Visa Application

You can apply for a Student Visa to study in the UK. The new UK Student Visa immigration rules came into force on the 5th Oct 2020. They have been long awaited and the student visa immigration rules have been relaxed to some extent. 

UK Schools, Colleges & Universities are well known for providing world class education globally. We receive around half a million International students per year to study in the UK. UK Universities remain one of the top choices for international students to proceed and study in the UK.

To be able to study in the UK, you will need admission at a UK University or College on the Tier 4 Register of Sponsors and obtain a CAS (Certificate of Acceptance of Studies). You can apply for a Student Visa once you have obtained a CAS from your University and meet the requirements for the visa.

What Can I Study in the UK?

There is an extraordinary variety of courses available to study in the UK, at UK Universities, at any level that you are eligible for:

  • English Language courses
  • Foundation programmes
  • Bachelor Degree programmes
  • Master Degree programmes
  • PHD programmes

One of the new rules states that you can now apply for a Student Visa 6 months in advance of your course start date. Previously students could only apply a maximum of 3 months before the start date of the course. Due to this time constraint students often missed their University induction and sometimes their initial classes as the UKVI frequently needed more time to process the student visa applications.

Students are often interviewed by the UKVI as part of the visa process to establish that they are “genuine students” and we can help you prepare for your interview. Paying the University fee and obtaining a CAS alone is not always sufficient for a successful visa. Fortunately, your spouse and children applying, to either accompany or join you, as your Student Visa Dependents, will not be interviewed.

A Student Visa comes with some conditions for it to remain valid and to be compliant you should follow the rules of which some are shown below:

  • You should not access UK public funds commonly known as benefits in the UK
  • Do not obtain employment as a professional sportsman or sports coach  – if you wish to take up this employment you can apply for a Work Visa
  • Follow the work restrictions on your visa as you may or may not be allowed to work 10 or 20 hours a week in the UK
  • If you have part time work rights you can be employed. You cannot become self-employed, so if you wish to be self-employed and run your own business you should consider switching or applying for a UK Business Visa

One of the most exciting news for UK International students is that upon completion of a degree in the UK you can switch to a 2-year Graduate Visa starting in Summer 2021. This is great news and means you do not require a Tier 2 Sponsor / Skilled Worker Sponsor to sponsor you! You can work for any employer that is willing to employ you and gain valuable UK work experience for a minimum of 2 years.

Student Visa Requirements

Basic requirements to obtain Student visa are:

  • A Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) from a Sponsor such as a University
  • Maintenance funds of £9,207 if you will study outside London, otherwise £12,006 if you will study in London 
  • English language requirement; different levels required depending on the course you apply to study. OR your University can confirm your English is at the required standard and therefore an English test is not required. There are however exceptions to this rule based on your nationality
  • TB test 

You can enter the UK up to a 1 week or a month before your course start date, this depends on whether your course is 6 months or longer, respectively, as per the Student Visa rules.

Currently, the UK Student Visa fee is £490 if you are applying from outside the UK, and £475 if you are already in the UK and applying to Switch to the Student Visa.

What we can do for you for a successful Student Visa Application

  • We will assess your educational history and your work history, if any, and help you find the best course and University according to your requirements. 
  • We will prepare your application for admission and obtain offer letters for you
  • Once you decide which offer you would like to take up we will obtain a CAS for your student visa application
  • We will then prepare your Student Visa application so it has the best chance of success
  • We will let you know what documents you need to provide and review them to submit as part of your visa application 
  • We will provide a legal representation covering letter to support your student visa application
  • We will conduct a mock UKVI student interview to give you a good idea of the interview that you may face
  • We remain available during and after the submission of your application and until a decision comes through

Our aim is to submit your application with minimum stress and for it to be a smooth process. We will ensure we keep you up to date with UKVI immigration rules at all times. 

GSN Immigration Lawyers have assisted many students to obtain a UK student visa. If you have been previously refused, don’t give up just yet, give us a call to assess whether we can still help you to fulfill your dream to study in the UK.

Contact us now to apply for Student Visa

Why not give GSN Immigration a call to discover that we are the best UK Student Visa Consultants and Immigration Lawyers in London, and Harrow. We work with clients from all over the world, so no matter where you are in the world, be assured we can assist you.

In addition to being able to provide Student Visa Consultancy, we provide the best immigration advice in London at OISC Level 3. So you are in the best hands for admission at a UK University and a successful student visa.

Our students come from all over the world including Russia, Saudi Arabia, UAE, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Ghana, Tanzania, Morocco, Iran, Egypt, Philippines, Kosovo, Ghana, Nigeria, Brazil, Columbia, Sri Lanka, Iraq, Vietnam & China and many more.

You can call and speak to our Immigration Lawyers in London on 0207 993 6981, they are ready to take your call.

You can also call our Immigration Lawyers in Harrow on +44 208 150 6709

Alternatively, you can Email us on 

Frequently Asked Questions

The UK Immigration rules do not allow you to switch from a Visitor Visa to a Student Visa. You can however travel back to your country of residence and apply to return to the UK on a student visa.

I have completed a Master’s Degree in the UK, can I study another Master’s course and extend my student visa?

Yes, you can as long as it shows progression from your previous course and you believe it will further enhance your skills and advance your career

What are the maintenance funds I require to apply for a student visa application?

You need to have funds of £11,385 if you are coming to study in London for 9 or more months  if your University is outside London the funds of £9135 are required

How many hours can I work in the UK on a Student visa?

You can work 20 hours per week during term time and as many hours as you want during your holidays from University.

Can my Dependent work in the UK on a student dependent visa?

Yes, your Dependent can work in the UK full time, if they want.


Do You Need Immigration Advice & Want A Successful Outcome?

Talk to us! We promise we can help you! Call Now! (+44) 208-150-6709

Student Visa requirements

Recent News

Read All News

Need a UK Immigration Lawyer

Speak to our Experienced Immigration Lawyers for Honest Immigration Advice. Book your FREE ASSESSMENT Today!