UK Spouse Visa

UK Immigration Advice for a Spouse Visa under Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules
Apply for a UK Spouse Visa

Apply for a UK Spouse Visa. GSN Immigration Lawyers & Advisers are OISC registered. We specialise in UK Spouse Visa and pay full attention to your application so it can be successful. 

We specialise in Spouse Visa applications and ensure our client’s cases are processed smoothly.

It can be a distressing time to be separated from your loved ones. We can provide immigration advice to help you apply for a UK spouse visa and reunite you with your spouse

Spouse Visa application process

The spouse of a qualifying person (sponsor) can apply for a spouse visa. They can join or remain in the UK as a wife or husband. A civil partner (same-sex) or unmarried partner can also apply for a spouse visa.

A sponsor must be either a British citizen, a person who is settled in the UK. This means with indefinite leave to remain or permanent residence. A person who has refugee leave or humanitarian protection leave can also be a sponsor.

The applicant must in each case prove that the relationship is genuine and existing. There are also – in most cases – financial requirements and accommodation requirements that an applicant must meet. An applicant must also meet the English language requirement. Although there are in some circumstances exceptions. 

If the applicant is applying from within the UK they must have valid immigration leave. There are some exceptions to this and we assess each application by merit.

Unmarried partners must prove that they have been living with the sponsor for at least two years. They must have lived together akin to a marriage either in the UK or outside the UK.

If you apply for a spouse visa and the application is successful you will receive leave for approximately 30 months. It may be possible to extend the spouse visa for a further 30 months. Depending on your circumstances you may qualify for settlement as a spouse after five years. In other cases it is only possible to qualify for settlement after ten years.

The spouse visa and other partner visas all give the right to work in the UK. 

UK Spouse Visa Requirements

There is in most cases a financial requirement to meet to apply for a spouse visa. It is often the case that there is a requirement that the sponsor (or applicant in some cases) is earning at least £18,600 per year. Either in employment or self-employment or through other means such as exempt state benefits. If the applicant’s children are applying with them then the required earnings are higher. Savings can also help you to meet the financial requirement. Or a combination of earnings and savings. The applicant must also show that there is suitable and adequate accommodation available for them. 

The spouse visa requirements for English language for an initial application is an English language qualification at A1 level. A degree-level qualification taught in English can also meet the english requirement for the visa. Certain nationalities are exempt from meeting the english requirement. 

As your lawyer we will prove all these elements for your spouse visa application with appropriate documentation for a successful outcome.

If you apply for a spouse visa from outside the UK, the application is submitted online. An appointment is made at a centre outside the UK to take biometric details from the applicant. Usually the supporting documents to apply for a UK spouse visa are submitted online, but this varies from country to country.

To apply for a spouse visa from within the UK the applicant will again apply online. The Home Office will make a decision on the application.

What we can do for you for a successful UK Spouse visa

As your lawyer we can first of all assess your case and determine whether you have a potentially strong application. If so, under which part of the rules you can apply for a spouse visa. In some cases it may be possible to make a strong application even if you are an overstayer. You may be able to apply even if you do not meet all the rules. But this is something that we will assess carefully.

We can also advise about the possibility or otherwise of going on the five-year route to settlement 

To apply for a spouse visa you require very specific types of documents which must meet detailed requirements. We can give you clear and honest advice about this. Our role is to guide you towards submitting the best documents possible. Submitting an organised application can bring about a successful outcome.

We will provide a Person and Country Specific Document Checklist. This will ensure you can gather the required documents, according to your circumstances.

We will complete all the relevant application forms for you and provide you country specific guidance, if relevant. 

We will ensure we are with you from the very start until you receive a decision for your application. Sometimes applications take longer than expected and we can liaise with the Home Office or UKVI on your behalf.

We have also assisted many clients to apply for a spouse visa to switch from a Tier 2 Work Visa, Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa, Tier 4 Student Visa, Tier 1 Visa from within the UK.

Contact us now to apply for a UK Spouse Visa in London

Why not give us a call to discover that we are the best UK Spouse Visa Immigration Lawyers in London, and Harrow. We work with clients from all over the UK, so if you are not in London or Harrow do not worry, we can assist you wherever you are. We provide the best immigration advice in London at OISC Level 3 for a Spouse Visa to clients from all over the UK, including, Harrow, Wembley, Ealing, Birmingham, Oxford, Slough, High Wycombe, Milton Keynes, Bristol and even Scotland,

Our clients come from all over the world including Russia, Saudi Arabia, UAE, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Ghana, Tanzania, Morocco, Iran, Egypt, USA, Canada, Italy, Nigeria, Brazil, Columbia, Sri Lanka, Iraq, Vietnam & China to name a few.

We have experienced Immigration Lawyers in London, and we also have Immigration Lawyers in Harrow, so you have access to the best Immigration Advice in London.

You can call and speak to our Immigration Lawyers in London on 0207 993 6981 , they are ready to take your call.

You can also call our Immigration Lawyers in Harrow on +44 208 150 6709

Call now and speak to us and discover for yourself that we are the right Immigration Lawyers in London, or Harrow, for you. Alternatively, you can Email us on

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the UK Spouse Visa fees?

The current fee for Spouse visa application form outside of the UK is £1523 and £1033 from within the UK. The UKVI update their fee scale usually in April every year but it is known to make any changes any time.

What is the processing time for a UK Spouse Visa?

UKVI usually processes spouse visa applications within 4 – 12 weeks but sometimes it can take longer, and the UKVI will contact you if they need more time to process your application.

Can I get my visa faster?

Yes, you can. If you want your spouse visa to be processed faster you can purchase the Priority Service for a fee of £573 and your application will be processed in about 4 weeks. The fastest decision we have received for a spouse visa application from outside the UK is in 1 day. The Super Priority Service Fees for applications in the UK are £800.

Are the Partner Visa & Marriage Visa the same type of visas?

Marriage visa allows you to come to the UK to get married and go back to your country of residence, simply it is a type of visit visa. Whereas, the Spouse Visa which is also known as a Partner Visa allows the visa holder to remain in the UK with their partner on a long term basis

What is the Financial income requirement to sponsor my spouse or partner to join me in the UK?

The minimum income requirement to sponsor your spouse or partner to the UK is £18,600 per annum. But if you have a child you need to earn a minimum of £22,400. If you have more than 1 child in that case your required income will increase £2400 for every child on top of the £22,400.




Spouse Visa Requirements

Recent News

Read All News