+44 208 150 6709

Spouse Visa

UK Immigration for a Spouse Visa under Appendix FM

Apply for a UK Spouse Visa

It can be a distressing time when you are separated from your loved one because of borders, or Immigration Rules. 

The spouse (husband or wife), civil partner (same-sex relationship) or unmarried partner (in relationship but without marriage or civil partnership) of a qualifying person may be able to apply for a visa to join them in the UK or remain with them in the UK.

A qualifying person (“sponsor”) must be either a British citizen, a person who be settled in the UK (i.e. with indefinite leave to remain, permanent residence), or a person who has refugee leave or humanitarian protection leave. 

The applicant must in each case prove that the relationship is genuine and existing. There are also – in most cases – financial requirements and accommodation requirements to be met, as well as an English language requirement, although there are in some circumstances exceptions. 

If the applicant is applying from within the UK as a spouse they must in most cases hold immigration leave but, again, there are some exceptions to this. 

In the case of an unmarried partner the applicant has to additionally prove that they have been living with the sponsor (either in the UK or outside the UK), in a relationship, for at least two years. 

If the spouse visa application is successful leave is granted for 30 months, and it may be possible to extend the spouse visa for a further 30 months. There is a possibility of being able to qualify for settlement as a spouse after five years in total, depending on your circumstances. In other cases it is only possible to qualify for settlement after ten years.

The spouse visa and other partner visas all give the right to work in the UK. 

If you are applying from outside the UK the application is made online and by appointment with the UK visa centre outside the UK and the Home Office in the UK, who will take biometric details from the applicant and the hardcopy documents from the sponsor. 

If you are applying from within the UK the applicant will make the whole application to the Home Office.

Requirements for a Spouse Visa

As referred to above, there is in most cases a financial requirement for the spouse visa is to be met. It is often the case that there is a requirement that the sponsor – or in some cases the applicant – is earning at least £18,600 per year, in employment or self-employment or through other means such as exempt state benefits. If the applicant’s children are applying with them then the required earnings are higher. The financial requirement can also be satisfied by savings, or by a combination of earnings and savings. The applicant must also show that there is suitable and adequate accommodation available for them. 

The English language requirement for an initial application is an English language qualification at at least A1 level, or it can sometimes be satisfied by nationality or a by a degree-level qualification taught in English. 

As your lawyaer we will prove all these elements with appropriate documentation for a successful spouse visa outcome.

What we can do for you for a successful Spouse visa

As your lawyer we can first of all assess your case and determine whether you have a potentially strong application and, if so, under which part of the rules you can apply. In some cases it may be possible to make a strong application even if you are an overstayer and even if you do not meet all the rules, but this is something that needs to be assessed carefully.

We can also advise about the possibility or otherwise of going on the five-year route to settlement.

Spouse visa applications require very specific types of document which must meet detailed requirements. We can give you thorough advice about this and guide you towards submitting the best documents possible and put the application together in an organised way. 

We will provide a Person and Country Specific Document Checklist so that you can gather the required documents according to your circumstances.

We will complete all the relevant application forms for you and provide you country specific guidance, if relevant. 

We will ensure we are with you from the very start and up until you receive a decision on your spouse visa application. Sometimes applications are delayed and we can liaise with the Home Office or UKVI on your behalf.

Why not give us a call to discover that we are the best Immigration Lawyers in London to handle your Spouse Visa application. We work with clients from all over the world, so if you are not in London do not worry, we can assist you wherever you are. We have helped clients with a Spouse Visa and from all over the world and they are from Russia, Saudi Arabia, UAE, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Ghana, Tanzania, Morocco, Iran, Egypt, USA, Canada, Italy, Nigeria, Brazil, Columbia, Sri Lanka, Iraq, Vietnam, China to name a few.

We have also assisted many clients to switch from a Tier 2 Work Visa, Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa, Tier 4 Student Visa, Tier 1 Visa to a Spouse Visa from within the UK.

Our Immigration Lawyers / Consultants are multi lingual and can discuss your case with you in English, Arabic, Mandarin, Malay, Russian, Urdu, Punjabi & Hindi.

Please call us on +44 208 150 6709 to discover we are the right firm for you, and speak to an experienced Immigration Lawyer / Adviser to bring your matter to a successful conclusion. Alternatively you can Email us on 

Do You Need Immigration Advice & Want A Successful Outcome?

Talk to us! We promise we can help you! Call Now! (+44) 208-150-6709


Recent News

Read All News

You Can Trust Our Immigration Advice

Need an Immigration Lawyer?

Our team of experienced lawyers can help with your immigration matter. Visa or Appeals; We can help you!